Despite current lockdown restrictions preventing any kind of organised on-water competitions, Bewl Bridge RC has very successfully organised a virtual head race (5,000 metres) which took place between the 28th and 31st of January, 2021. Along with other 40 rowing clubs from all over the country, our club was well represented with 7 our members taking part in various categories, even forming virtual “crews” of pairs and fours.
Club members who lacked access to a Concept2 ergometer were also able to take part, as the event allowed competitors to run the length of the head race, with chairman Tom Hurst, captain Manuel Marques, and veteran rower James Knight all taking part in that format. Among a competitive field of over 500 athletes, Spitfire crews did very well, with some crews and individuals finishing in podium positions.
Club member Lewin Hynes competing in the 5,000 m ergo event – with a very supportive audience!
The composite Masters C virtual quad of Manuel Marques, Lewin Hynes, James Knight and Mark Latymer finished first in its category, with a time of 18:50.3 seconds. New members Jeremy Hewlett and Nigel Weaver, competing in the Masters F category in a virtual pair, placed fourth with a time of 20:34.3.
Full results listed below (results correct as of 8pm Sun 31st). We congratulate all members who took part in this event, and look forward to the follow-up event at the end of February!
- MAS D 1x (Knight): 6th (out of 10 entrants)
- MAS C 1x (Hynes): 2nd ? (out of 16 entrants)
- MAS C 1x (Latymer): 10th (out of 16 entrants)
- MAS F 1x (Hewlett): 6th (out of 15 entrants)
- MAS G 1x (Weaver): 3rd ? (out of 5 entrants)
- MAS A 1x(LWT) (Marques): 2nd ? (out of 2 entrants)
- MAS F 2x (Hewlett/Weaver): 4th (out of 5 entrants)
- MAS C 4x (Marques/Hynes/Knight/Latymer): 1st ? (out of 4 entrants)
- U23 Lwt (Hurst): 6th (out of 9 entrants)
- MAS A Lwt (Marques): 2nd ? (out of 5 entrants)
- MAS D (Knight): 1st ? (only entrant in category).